The United States of America is on the bucket list of many. But you cannot see everything in a single visit. Some people also visit this North American country to see their family and friends. In all these cases, you are required to renew your US visa from time to time. Just like UAE citizens, residents can also renew their US visa at the embassy/consulate in the country. But do you know how to renew a US visa from UAE in detail? We have prepared this guide to provide all the information regarding renewing the US visa from UAE without issues.
Find out if you qualify for the renewal of your US visa
You must check your eligibility for US visa renewal from UAE before beginning the process. You also must gather all the information so that the process runs smoothly. Check your US visa to see when your visa expired. To renew a US visa, your last visa expiry date should not exceed 4 years. If it does, you cannot continue. You will have to apply for a fresh visa.
When should you renew your US visa?
This is a common question that most UAE residents might have in mind while applying for US visa renewal. The US visa renewal application should be filed three months before the visa expiry date. The best thing about advance filing is that it gives you ample time before the visa expiry. You also refrain from overstaying in the US if your visa has expired to avoid legal issues. This is because overstaying in the country even after the visa expires can lead to deportation and denial of entry in the future.
The process to renew a US visa from the UAE
You may find renewing your US visa from the UAE a bit challenging. This is especially true for those doing it for the first time. But you can complete the task if you do it step-by-step. Here are the steps that will help you to complete the process of renewing your US visa successfully.
1. Go to the link of the DS-160 online form and fill it out
By logging in to the official website of the US Embassy, you can fill out the DS-160 online form. It is crucial to fill all fields as directed for successful submission. You need to mention your name (with correct spellings), birth date, and other personal details. The purpose of your trip should also be mentioned. Details of your employment status and previous US visits must be included.
2. Pay the fee for your visa application
Paying the visa fee is essential to begin the visa renewal process. You will have to pay the visa fee as per the type of US visa you are renewing. You can choose among the different payment options available for online visa payment.
3. Make your visa interview appointment
The last step is to make an appointment for the visa interview. You need to select the venue or location for the visa appointment at your convenience. You also have the liberty to choose the date and time of the appointment from the various options.
Documents Required for US Visa Renewal
Though you can get your US visa renewed by following the steps mentioned above, you also have to submit certain documents that are mandatory for the renewal process. Submission of the requisite documents is an important aspect that determines your eligibility for US visa renewal along with the duration of the expiry of your US visa. Here is the list of documents for initiating the US visa renewal process:
●Your current passport. It should have a minimum duration of six months from the date at which you wish to return from the US
● Both your previous and current passports, if your passport was renewed after the issuance of your US visa
● A printout or hard copy of the DS-160 confirmation page
● Your current US visa
● A detailed explanation for the expiry or loss of your US visa (any one of these two, whichever is applicable)
● A 5*5 cm passport-sized photograph on a white background that is not older than 6 months
● A signed letter of Invitation for a US visa from your family member or friend with whom you will be staying after you arrive in the United States
● Additional documents related to the purpose of your travel to the United States (if necessary)
Important Tips for US Visa Interview
After submitting all the requisite documents, you can clear the interview for the successful renewal of your US visa by taking care of just a few things. The following US visa interview tips will come in handy for you while attending the interview.
● Take a break for a day or a few hours before the day of your interview to jot down the possible questions and draft your responses. Be ready with any explanation related to your document or purpose for traveling to the United States.
● Answer all the questions asked by the visa official confidently.
● Don’t hesitate to ask for further clarification from the visa official if you cannot understand their question.
● Ensure error-free communication in English during the interview. Avoid fillers (such as “Umm, I guess” and other similar fillers) as much as you can.
Renewing your US visa may seem like a difficult task. But it is not if you follow the steps provided above carefully. When you are done with the interview, you will get a reference number to track your visa application status. The duration of your US visa renewal from the UAE depends on the type of visa you applied for.
Nilkanth Patil is a passionate writer with an impressive background in travel and has experience in the fields of visa consulting and customer service. He combines his expertise in these fields with his love of writing viewing it as both a hobby and a way to share his perspectives on topics that fascinate him.